I know this sounds weird. I was a little iffy on it too. I like cauliflower, but a cauliflower instead of pulled pork? I’m not so sure. However, I really liked these! Topped with caramelized onions and homemade BBQ sauce, I barely noticed it was cauliflower. Well, maybe that’s a stretch. You could definitely taste the cauliflower, but in a good way. You have to like cauliflower to like this.
The first time I did these I made them as sliders. The second time I used regular sized buns. The kids ate more and enjoyed it more as a slider size. This recipe definitely made it in the rotation.
This recipe is originally from the Beard and Bonnet website.
- BBQ SAUCE
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 Tbsp butter (soy butter if you wan it to be vegan)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 Tbsp water
- 4 Tbsp vinegar
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- CAULIFLOWER PATTIES
- 4 cups processed cauliflower (about the size of rice) Approx 1 small head
- 1-1/2 cups almond meal
- 6 Tbsp flax seed meal
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 BBQ sauce
- Mix all the ingredients in a small sauce pan. Heat on medium-low for 15-20 minutes or until sauce thickens a little bit.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine flax seed meal and water. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine cauliflower, almond meal, flax seed mixture, and BBQ sauce in large mixing bowl.
- Spread mixture evenly over non-stick 12x17 jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper. Mixture should be about 1/2" thick or so.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once cooled slightly, cut into bun-sized pieces and assemble the sandwich.
- Two patties, caramelized onions, and smothered in BBQ sauce.
*recipe originally from www.beardandbonnet.com