Chili in our family is a Halloween tradition. What turkey is to Thanksgiving, chili is to Halloween. I can’t imagine a Halloween without it. Even when we aren’t with my parents on the holiday, I try to carry the tradition and make her famous chili. It’s not overly spicy, or interestingly unique, but it is a classic dependable recipe. If you like to experiment, this is a good base to make your own creation. However, I don’t like to stray too far from this tried and true recipe.
- 1.5lbs ground chuck
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 green pepper chopped
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 2-3 cans of kidney beans
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- 1 can diced tomatoes (I prefer petite diced)
- 1.5 tsp Italian seasoning
- water to desired consistency (approx. 3 cups)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- *I add red, orange, and yellow peppers. I use about 3 whole peppers in total.
- Brown the meat and then drain excess grease.
- Saute onions and peppers until soft (3-5 minutes)
- Add remaining ingredients on high heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low. Let simmer for 1 hour or so. Top with cheese or other favorite chili toppings.