This is always the “homecoming meal” when we are in Japan. But even if Aya’s mom is here visiting, Aya always requests it. It wouldn’t be a complete visit if we didn’t have this meal. I’ve made it once myself, but Aya’s mom always has the special touch.
400-600g (1 to 1.5lbs) thinly sliced beef (Aya’s mom bought top round and sliced it thin)
1 onion minced
1 6oz can of sliced mushrooms
1/2cup frozen green peas, or more to taste
1 clove garlic minced
1 bay leaf
1tb vegetable oil
3cups chicken or beef broth
3/4cup evaporated milk
1tb red wine
Salt and pepper to taste
- Season the sliced beef with salt and pepper and coat it in flour, careful not to layer them.
- In a large pot, heat 1tb butter and 1tb vegetable oil and brown the beef.
- Add the broth and cook on low or medium heat for 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a pan, heat 1tb butter and saute the garlic and onions and add mushrooms(drain and save the liquid in the can). Season with 1/2ts salt, pepper, and 1tb red wine.
- Add the garlic, onions, and mushrooms to the beef and add a bay leaf and the liquid from the can of mushrooms.
- Once the liquid thickens, take out the bay leaf.
- Continue to cook on low or medium heat for 1-1.5 hrs, add evaporated milk and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add green peas and stir.
- Pour over rice.