Aya has found memories of her mom making this pudding when she would stay home sick from school. While her mom was here visiting she gave us a lesson on how to make. It’s pretty much the same thing as the flan, crème caramel. Aya said this custard pudding is extremely common in Japan.
400 ml whole milk
4 large eggs
100g (1/2 cup) sugar
1~2 drops of vanilla extract
2 tsp rum
4 Tbp sugar
1 Tbp water
2 Tbp hot water
- To make the caramel sauce, boil the sugar and water together in a small sauce pan and brown the sugar. Add the hot water, stir, and turn off the heat. While it’s still hot, pour about 1tsp each into the pudding molds.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together.
- Slowly add warm milk to the above and add vanilla extract and rum once the sugar has completed melted.
- Run the milk and egg mixture through a strainer to remove the bubbles.
- Gently pour the milk and egg mixture into pudding molds.
- In a 9×13 cake pan, fill boiling water half way and gently place the pudding molds inside.
- Bake in oven at 425 for 20 minutes.